Friday 29 December 2006

Me and my bright ideas!!


Does anyone recognise here?
If you guessed the reservoir in the valley below Pen -Y-Fan - then you will be right!
Wednesday was the day (yup the 27th) and the weather was meant to be foggy with some slight rain.
So off we went, got to the reservoir about 11am and I couldn't believe how busy it was. I put on my fleece from Blacks and we started the walk.
Now I have to say that the highest I have been before this was Loughrigg and I couldn't even see the top of this "mountain". It was dry and not too cold, but still no peak to see.
After about 30mins we could see ice on the grass - but we carried on. We were going along the old roman road towards Cribyn. We climbed through the gate at the top and thought we should prehaps put our waterproof jackets on (thank god for these) and then we started the steep climb. We then passed a group that was about 15 mins in front of us (I was feeling pretty pleased at this point)Now I have to say I am not sure whether it is a good or bad thing if you can't see the top, but after a fairly steep climb we were there and I could see nothing!!
Still no time for stopping, so it was a slight (!??!) descent down at which point we passed someone in trainers (barking mad)
note to Trail - I seem to have some problems mentally in descending I am convinced that I am going to fall - please help!
We passed over frozen boggy patches and water and I was feeling great. Then it was the steep climb to the summit of Pen-Y-Fan - not impressed!! Only joking I found it hard and Paul realised the importance of breakfast, but what an achievement when I got there! I saw a pile of rocks and realised that there was no way I could do a video blog up there. It was freezing, blowing a gale, ice whipping around and no viz! So after a quick cup of tea (i had also forgotten to wash the flask out properly so it tasted of washing up liquid) it was back down the way we had come because of the bad weather.
So down we started - i was slightly better this time and we met a group of people who were slightly disoriented so we brought them down with us and we took another path which took us around Cribyn and back down to the roman road.
Now because of my leg length and size I can't seem to get walking trousers so I had cotton combats on (Please note - they are no good for wet weather - my legs actually hurt at one point they were so cold)
Well we all got down safely and it took only 3 1/2 hours and how did I feel?
ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC!!!! I HAVE THE BUG OFFICIALLY NOW
I was running to have my photo taken by the reservoir.
But enough of that we took the people backto their car and ensured that they were all safe and well before we wen back to pick the monsters up.
I clocked up over 22000 steps and did I ache? NO, i think I was more shocked by that then anything else - not a single grumble - prehaps things are changing for me!

No comments: